Duration: 3 Nights, 4 Days Dates: 1st-4th May
Mount Meru is Mount Kilimanjaro’s little sister, standing at 4,566m compared to 5,895m, but is still an impressive free standing volcano, which makes a superb 3-4 day climb to the top. It last erupted in 1910 and therefore classified as an active volcano. The uniqueness of Mt. Meru is that it gives you the chance to also enjoy the beautiful Arusha national park as part of the same package.
Day 1: Nairobi – Arusha (1400m) – Miriakamba Hut (2500m)
Duration: 5 hours road travel and 3-5 hours of Hiking.
Depart Nairobi early at 0600hrs to arrive in Arusha at around 1000hrs crossing the neighboring county via the Namanga border post.
Upon arrival we will be picked up and transferred to the Momella Gate in Arusha National Park. We will spend some time sorting out gear while the guides help with registration with the Tanzania National Park (TANAPA). The first day’s trek is a perfect walking safari with the great chance to see giraffes, zebras, antelope, buffalo, and elephants near the trail. Due to the high possibility of spotting wildlife, an armed ranger, hired through the National Park, is required to hike with our team for the duration of the hike. Up on the trail we will pass the Ngare Nanyuki River and a beautiful waterfall at the base of Mt. Meru. Upon arriving to Miriakamba Hut (2500m), our chef will prepare a hot meal for dinner. Enjoy the beautiful sunset and overnight on the mountain.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2500m) – Saddle Hut (3500m)
Duration: 3-5 hours of hiking
After breakfast, we will start ascending up the steep trail along the ridge of the saddle. We may see various wildlife along the way! The trail has views of Mt. Meru Crater and the Ash cone. When we arrive at camp, you have the option of hiking Little Mt. Meru (3820m) with our guide to further acclimatize. Early dinner will be served to give you ample rest before the midnight summit attempt. Snooze at 1900hrs!
Day 3: Saddle Hut (3500m) – Summit Attempt (4566m) – Exit to Arusha
Duration: 12-15 hours of hiking
Arise at 00:30 for tea and biscuits. We will begin your summit attempt at 1:30am with headlamps and summit gear in check. The trail starts off on a steep grade to Rhino Point (3800m) to Cobra Point (4350m). The last hour of the hike is a scramble on a rocky ridge between the crater and inner cliffs of Meru.
You will reach the summit of Meru (4565m) at sunrise with spectacular views of Mt. Meru’s Ash Cone and Mt. Kilimanjaro. Enjoy your views then descend to Saddle Hut for a short break. We will then continue descending to Miriakamba Hut (2500m) for snack before exiting via the Momella Gate to Arusha town for overnight celebrations and rest.
Day 4: Arusha– Nairobi
If it’s in it for you after breakfast embark on a short trip to Lake Duluti or embark on a little shopping. Take a walk around the lake. Afterwards depart Arusha town and head onwards to Namanga to arrive in Nairobi early in the evening.
Due to the nature of the exercise, you need to prepare your body well. It is recommended you do daily cardio based exercises before the hike. The same can be done by other Cardio based exercises. This will help your breathing as well as aid your muscles.
Pre-hikes are organized every two weeks and it would be great to attend them. Contact the Bucketlist team for more insight
Meals will be provided, as well as basic snacks like cookies, biscuits and fruits. You should also bring your own energy snacks for the duration of the hike. Based on your preference, you can consider nuts, candy, energy bars, soda/beverage, dextrose, Green apples, chocolate bars et al.
Main meals are prepared and served at camp. They include common starch, vegetables, soup and meat.
Any special dietary requirements such as diabetic, vegetarian, lactose intolerant, non-beef must be communicated in advance.
1. Backpack/rucksack for porters 1 Pc
2. Day pack Bag properly padded 1 Pc
3. Sleeping bag (-0 to -20 degrees) 1 Bag
4. Waterproof Hiking Boots 1 Pair
5. Marvin/Balaclava /Warm Hat 1 Pc
6. Sunglasses 1 Pc
7. Slim hot water flask 1 Pc
8. T-Shirts – Polyester quick dry. 4 Pcs
9. Warm Jacket 1 Pc
10. Long Rain coat or Poncho 1 Pc
11. Walking pants 2 Pcs
12. Summit Ski Trouser 1 Pc
13. Waterproof windbreaker pants / Rain Trousers 1 Pc
14. Heavy woolen socks 4 Pcs
15. Gloves (Warm Ski gloves) 1 Pc
16. Light woolen gloves 1 Pc
17. Fleece 1 Pcs
18. Thermal underwear (Top & Bottom) 1-2 Pairs
19. Camelbak Hydration pack /Water bottles: 3 liters capacity
20. Bathroom Kit (Recommended Wet Wipes, SunScreen, Toothpaste, Toothbrush etc)
21. Headlamp with Extra Batteries 1 Pcs
22. Personal First aid items/medicine if any
24. Wide Brimmed sun hat/Baseball cap 1 Pc
25. Snacks to last all days (Personal Discretion)
26. Passport/National ID/Alien ID & Yellow Fever certificate
27. Personal First Aid items
28. Disclaimer & Health self-assessment form submitted.
29. Emergency evacuation cover
Ancillary Gear Items
2.Power Bank/Solar Charger
4.Ankle support and knee support
5.Book or portable games to use
6.Money for Crew Tips : Recommended $50 and above
All the above items can be sourced with the help of our team. Do contact the Expeditions team. For hiring and purchase contact us.
The expedition rates are as follows:-
East African Citizens: KES 36,500
PS: Contact us for Non-Citizens Rates
• All meals on the Mountain.
• Accommodation on Sharing in Arusha at Green Mountain Hotel for the night after climb.
• Hut Accommodation on the mountain.
• Statutory park fees.
• Guides and staff entry fees.
• Experienced Guides.
• Group porters for meals, supplies.
• Experienced Mountain chef and catering team.
• Porter to carry your personal rucksack.
• Transport to and from Nairobi CBD in comfortable BUS.
• Transfers from Arusha to the Mountain and back.
• Visa fees for Non-East African Citizens.
• International Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate (Mandatory)
• Tips for guides and porters (Recommended tip values – $50-$100)
• Personal Climbing Gear as in “D” above
• Water and Drinks (Though clean water is available for refills but you need to carry water purification tablets)
• En-route meals on first and last day.
• Dinner in Arusha
Booking: A minimum of KES 5,000 secures your slot on the trip.
Bank: NIC Bank
A/c Name: Bucketlist Adventures
A/c No: 1005055788
Branch Name: The Mall Westlands.
Postal Address: – P.O.box 44599,00100- Nairobi Kenya.
Branch code: 105
Bank Code: 41
Swift Code: NINCKENA