Dragons – Satima – Wandare Traverse
Available Dates: Group joining; 21st May 2022
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Trekking Time: 25km Mauano
Traversing to Wandare via the Northern Moorlands of Mt. Satima
Ol Donyo Le Satima popularly known as Mt. Satima is the 3rd largest mountain in Kenya standing at approximately 4000m ASL is the immediate neighbor to a number of sharp volcanic cones called “the Dragon’s Teeth”. Dragon’s Teeth is a sporadic spread of jagged rocks that rise above the consistently wet moorlands in Northern Aberdares.
Meet for Departure at 0400hrs in the morning promptly. We drive north from Nairobi and a few kilometers after Nyeri, branch off towards the mountains. The drive up the mountain is slow but scenic as the tropical rainforest gives way to the moorland vegetation. Ascend 12km in the mountain to reach an altitude of 3450m at the Twin peaks point. From here you can see the nearby Chebuswa peaks. The hike starts here with some of the most beautiful rock formations in Kenya. They include the Lost Pyramid, Muirs Massive, Weathering Heights, Devil’s Sword, Theater of Heaven, and finally the Dragons Teeth with stunning rock formations. After a short rest Bank east towards the high ridges and head towards Satima peak.
After reaching the highest point in the Aberdares, descend down on the Wandare Trail on the moorland to stop at the parking lot at the start with a Toilet.
Return via the same route to the summit and descend via Dragons Teeth to Finish the hike at Twin Peaks.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 2,800
With Transport – KES 4,200
Ps. 10% discount applies to bookings done via the website
Book Now https://bucketlist.co.ke/shop/dragonsteeth-satima-wandare-traverse/
- Citizen/ Resident Park Entrance Fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive & Parking fees
- Hiking Charges
- Packed lunch
- Guiding Fees
- Security; Ranger
- Non-Resident Park Entry fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
At a glance
Join us as we take on this scenic traverse on the Moorlands. The hike begins on the Satima Rhino gate to the Wandare side and back via the same route. Mt. Satima is the 3rd largest mountain in Kenya standing at approximately 4000m ASL is the immediate neighbor to a number of sharp volcanic cones called “the Dragon’s Teeth”. Dragon’s Teeth is a sporadic spread of jagged rocks that rise above the consistently wet moorlands in Northern Aberdares.