The Northern moorlands of the Aberdares have long been accessed from the Shamata gate in Nyandarua. However, with our recent efforts we bring you this exciting trail with an easy access just off corridor between Mt. Kipipiri and the Aberdares ridge. The trail starts off on a steep ascent with abit of tree cover. The destruction by the surrounding communities is evident here.
The upper reaches lead on to beautiful craggy rock ridges before giving way to moorland famous for the bog or tussock grass. The ridge becomes gradual in the moorland before leading up the last climb to Table Mountain on the upper reaches.
The hike provides for a comfortable days climb albeit more challenging than the famous Elephant Hill in South Kinangop.
• Difficulty: Moderate
• Altitude: 3794AMSL
• Trekking Time: 8 hours
Meet with our expedition crew at Opp International House for at 0430hrs. Depart at 0445hrs for the start point at Aberdares.
The climb is a pleasant but challenging walk up the long steep ridge. After reaching the summit return via same route back. We enjoy late lunch before departing for the journey back to Nairobi.
1. Proper Comfortable hiking boots with good grip
2. Rain Coat
3. Powerful Whistle
4. Emergency Safety kit (Evacuation card, personal first aid items, matchbox)
5. Water (At least 3 litres)
6. Mkeka hat or sun screen
7. Jacket : Its Windy & cold sometimes
9. Snacks eg. Crisps, biscuits, Sweets, cookies to last the hike
10. Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
11. GPS Tracker device
13. Identification card or passport
Citizens : KES 3,450
Residents: KES 4,450
• Meal on Safari : Lunch
• Round Transport
• Park entrance charges
• Guides and game Rangers
• Snacks and items as listed in C above
• Personal items as listed above
• Tips for Guides
• Medical and Insurance Expenses
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your name)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0777 118 114 | [email protected]