Eliye Springs & Lake Turkana Expedition
Available Dates: 2nd – 5th April | Any private Dates upon Request
Transport: Flight & Land Cruisers
Crossing Off Turkana Eliye Your Bucketlist
Turkana is the second-largest county in Kenya sweeping the North-Western corner bordering South Sudan and Uganda. Tagged as the cradle of mankind, this county offers some interesting sites for adventurous tourists. This trip focuses on the Central circuit of this huge county. The expedition entails taking a tour of the springs of Eliye.
Day 1: Nairobi – Lodwar – Kalokol – Eliye Springs
Depart Nairobi on the 0700hrs flight to arrive in Lodwar shortly after 0900hrs. Drive into Lodwar Town, the largest frontier town in the Northern sector. Do some final shopping in the town as there are no shops at the lake. Take time and climb the hill near the catholic mission crowned by a huge Jesus statue-the Turkana edition of the world-famous one in Rio de Janeiro. There are staircases leading you up to the viewpoint. Sweeping Views of Lodwar town and surroundings can be seen from this vantage point.
A short excursion down the Turkwell also gives you stunning views of the seasonal Laga. You can also stroll over the vivid market and buy local crafts, especially the exceptionally beautiful Turkana basketry. After this short excursion drive to Kalokol, a town on the western shore of Lake Turkana. Later in the afternoon enjoy a swim on the lake, relax on the beach or take a cultural visit to nearby villages to see the way of the magical Turkana People or visit the nearby Lobollo swamp.
Day 2: Central Island National Park
Rise up and shine at 0600hrs to catch the sunrise over the lake. Later on, depending on the tides of the lake, set out by boat to Central Island National park an exciting trip of slightly over one and a half hours on the jade-colored waters of the lake. Central Island is a very unique park in its own way. The island has three crater lakes, Turtle Lake, Tilapia Lake, and Crocodile Lake. Walking trails lead you around the island and to the highest elevation from where you enjoy stunning views of two of the crater lakes and the majestic Lake Turkana.
The most stunning of all three crater lakes of Central Island National Park is home to tens of thousands of flamingos which can be seen as tiny white dots on the dark green water. Enjoy packed lunch on the island and return later in the evening as the sun sets over the vast horizons.
Day 3: Chill out Day at Lake Turkana
Spend this day relaxing on the beach and visiting the nearby village and camps. If it’s in it for you another boat tour would be great.
Day 4: Eliye – Nairobi
After breakfast, spend the morning at the lake swimming in the warm waters, source for crafts and other souvenirs. Depart for Lodwar after an early lunch for an onward flight to Nairobi arriving at 1600hrs. This marks the end of the trip with great memories.
What to Carry
- Shawl for the colder evenings.
- Proper Comfortable Closed outdoor Shoes
- Toiletries(Towel, Soap, Tooth Brush, toothpaste, Tissue)
- Sandals for the camps
- Swimming costume
- Plenty of water, drinks, and beverages (Buy in Lodwar)
- Drinks and Beverages: We have Sundowners so carry adequate drinks to contribute
- Mkeka hat/ sunscreen/ Sunglasses
- Warm Jacket
- Enough Snacks eg. Crisps, biscuits, Sweets, cookies to last the trip
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Identification card / Passport for the park.
- Tips for the guides, crew, and drivers
All-inclusive Package: KES 48,600
- Return Flight to Lodwar from Wilson Airport
- Accommodation at Budget hotel
- Meals on HalfBoard- Breakfast & Dinner
- Central Island National park entrance fees
- Boat Trip across the lake to the Island
- Return Transfer on 4X4 from Lodwar Airport to the lake
- Personal items as listed above
- Cultural visit to the Village
- Excursion to Lobollo swamp/Kalokol/Ferguson Bay KES 1,500
- Tips for Guides
- Medical and Insurance Expenses
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Trip Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
Explore Turkana, the second-largest county in Kenya. The trip focuses on the Central circuit of this huge county and entails a visit to the Central Island, Lodwar town, the magnificent Lake Turkana, and a tour of the springs of Eliye.