Gatamaiyu Riverline Walk
Available Dates: Group joining; 7th August 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: 3-4 Hrs Easy walk; Kids Friendly | Ideal for Beginners.
The walk starts at the Gatamaiyu Forest Gate and descends into a river valley before following the course of the Gatamaiyu River under a canopy of an indigenous forest, with a few muddy patches. Fallen logs lie undisturbed on the forest floor and across the river, providing sanctuary and nourishment to fungi, lichens, and micro-organisms that are part of this rich ecosystem. There are occasional elephant footprints that cross the trail, leaving large water-filled craters in the ground. The trail eventually leads to a scenic 18ft waterfall upstream, plunge pools, and cataracts.
On the return journey, we climbing out of the valley to a dirt road on the ridge above, from where you’ll take about 1 hour to get back to the start point.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking shoes with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended.
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – Kes. 2,270
With Transport – Kes. 3,350
- Citizens Forest Entrance Fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive & parking fees
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Forest Entry Fees for Residents / Non-Residents
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
The Gatamaiyu Riverline walk is very ideal for Kids and beginners raring to have a go at hiking or experienced hikers who love beautiful trails and like keeping it easy sometimes. The trail is along a river, under a canopy of natural indigenous forest, with a few muddy patches. The forest is a habitat to a wide range of bird species including the globally threatened Abbot’s starling and the bar-tailed trogons among others. The forest also serves as a habitat for the black and white colobus and sykes monkeys.