Gicheru Mines Hike
Available Dates: Group joining; 19th Feb, 2022
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: 15km Moderate
The Gicheru mines are located in Ndeiya, on the Kikuyu Escarpment just a short drive out of Nairobi CBD. The hike starts at a popular mission center with a flat trail before going down into the scenic Kikuyu Escarpment. The mines popular for chalk mining at the bottom of the valley are the highlight of the hike. The trail takes you to the famous Gicheru Mines popular for diatomite mining which gives an interesting contrast to the surrounding savanna. The Climb up is steep and gives you wide-open views of Mt. Suswa, Mt. Longonot, and the Standard Gauge Railway to Naivasha. The trail is off the beaten track and winds down cattle tracks on a rocky terrain thus walking sticks can be helpful.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking shoes with a good grip.
- Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 2,450
With Transport – KES 3,300
- Community Entry Fees/parking fees for Citizen/Residents
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive
- Hiking Charges
- Guide fees
- Non Resident Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Gicheru)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.