Gicheru Mines & Manley Traverse
Available Dates: Group joining; 2nd April 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: 13km Moderate | 23Km Mauano
The Gicheru mines and Manley hill trail is located on the Ndeiya Escarpment just a short drive out of Nairobi CBD. The Trail starts at a popular mission center heading into the village before descending the Rift Valley escarpment to follow the old trail to the mines. On the route is the western-bound SGR line cutting across the beautiful Savannah. The mines popular for chalk mining are a highlight at the bottom of the valley. The trail will then head North towards Manley Hill before climbing steeply out of the Escarpment to end the hike back at the start point.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 1,750
With Transport – KES 2,750
- Community Entry Fees/parking fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive
- Hiking Charges
- Guide fees
- Non Resident Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
This trail starts flat before descending on the Kikuyu Escarpments, taking you to the famous Gicheru Mines popular for diatomite mining. The trail will then head North towards Manley Hill before climbing steeply out of the Escarpment to end the hike back at the start point.