Kereita Falls and Caves Hike
Available Dates: Group joining; 11th April 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: 12Km Moderate
Trekking Time: 5 hours Including rests & stops at scenic points
The Kereita Forest is at the southern-most end of the Aberdares range and features many interesting hiking trails and natural features. One of these trails, the Carbacid trail, leads to Kereita Waterfall on Gatamaiyu River, and the adjacent cave that is home to a small bat colony.
Kereita Forest bears the distinction of being the site of mass graves where over 5000 victims of revenge attacks on the local population by the British colonial administration were buried.
The Carbacid trail passes by Elephant Pool, a large natural water body that Elephants love to frolic in. Also is the scenic Kereita Waterfall on Gatamaiyu River, and the adjacent cave that is home to a small bat colony.
If the team is energized, embark on a Trip to the Forest adventure site for Zip lining and lunch, and lots of other adrenaline activities before driving back to Nairobi CBD to arrive late in the afternoon.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking shoes with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended.
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back.
- Plenty of drinking water at least 2 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 1,950
Full Package – KES 2,900
Kids Below 12yrs – KES 1,500 (self-drive)
- Citizen/Resident Forest Entrance Fees & parking fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Non-Residents Forest Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
Kereita Forest features many interesting hiking trails that pass by a large natural water body that Elephants love to frolic in. Also, there is the scenic Kereita Waterfall and the adjacent cave that is home to a small bat colony and not forgetting the adrenaline zipline.