Mt. Kinangop Trek; Aberdares
Available Dates: Group joining; 22nd October
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: Difficult, 10Hrs 30Km
Mt Kinangop is the second-highest peak in the Aberdares. On this expedition, we will use the Elephant hill approach. Elephant hill forms the southern tip of the Nyandarua Range, which hosts the Aberdares National Park. The peak rises 3500m above sea level and offers mind-blowing views of the Kinangop plateau below. On a clear day, you can see as far as Mt. Longonot, Lake Naivasha, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and Sasumua & Ndakaini Dams.
The first part of the hike takes you through farms used to grow trees and crops. The chlorophyll shadows of the exotic giant grass of the bamboo forest form the next part as the gradient gets steeper. The hike follows an elephant migration route all the way to Point of Despair. The hike then goes up the Elephants Tail before banking west to the Elephant summit. From Elephant the trek to the Kinangop peak drops to a valley before rising sharply for 4kms to the summit. Return to the base is on the same route
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 2,400
With Transport – KES 4,250
- Citizen/ Resident Park Entrance Fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive & Parking fees
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Non-Resident Park Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
At a glance
This hike takes you to Mt Kinangop the second-highest peak in the Aberdares. The hike goes up the Elephants Tail before proceeding to the Kinangop peak. The trek to the Kinangop Peak from Elephant Summit drops into a valley before rising sharply for 4kms to the summit. Return to the base is on the same route.