Lake Ellis & Mugi Hill Hike
Available Dates: Group joining; 26th March, 2022
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Moderate15km To Lake Ellis
Difficult 21Km To Mugi Hill
Lake Ellis is located on the eastern slopes of Mt Kenya and is the largest lake of Mt Kenya’s great lakes after Lake Alice and Lake Michaelson. The lake was named after Thomas Evelyn Scott-Ellis who accompanied Eric Dutton on his first visit to the lake in 1927.
We begin the day with an early morning pick up from Nairobi at 0430hrs and drive north to Chogoria town and onwards to Chogoria Park Gate. The hike starts at the Gate after a short stretch.
The trail gets you right into the forest and takes you through the dense forest covered with both indigenous and man-made trees. The forest is a habit for both wildlife and a wide range of bird species. The hike then proceeds on wet moorlands and after covering a trek close to 7km, the trail leads to a scenic landscape of the breathtaking Lake Ellis. Take a short rest as you enjoy the stunning views of the lake before proceeding to Mugi Hill. The hill stands next to Lake Ellis at an elevation of 3508m Asl. The trek up the hill is scenic with clear views of the Peaks on a good day. The descent is via the same route.
What To Carry
- Comfortable hiking shoes with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Full Package with Transport – Kes. 4,380
Self Drive(4x4vehicle) – Kes. 2,250
- Citizen/Resident Park Entrance Fees/parking fees
- Round Trip Transport for non-self drives
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Non-Residents Park Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
This hike Starts at Chogoria Gate and takes you to the beautiful Lake Ellis and Mugi Hill on the slopes of Mt. Kenya. The hike guarantees a clear view of the peaks on a good day and fresh crisp air.