Maratini & Rurimueria Hills; Nyandarua Ranges
Available Dates: Group joining; 13th November 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: 20Km, Difficult Steep Terrain
Trekking Time: 9 – 10hours
Rurimeria and Maratini Hills are among the towering peaks of the Aberdares. Rurimueria stands tall at 12,670 ft which makes it higher than Elephant hill and only 200 feet from the famous Kinangop while Maratini stands at an elevation of 3,680m asl.
The hike is considered one of the toughest day climbs in the Aberdares. It is a trek for a tough hiker.
Head out in the early Am to arrive at Geta Bush, foot of the hill. The path leads up the forest to Bamboo and heather zones to reach the moorland. The route then follows a wide arch around the valley with a few false summits before reaching the summit on the long ridge to the east. After the Summit the trail then descends down the high ridge to Maratini hills towards Mlango to the opposite ridge.
The descent to the base on this route features two dramatic routes in a tough bog.
Return to Geta Bush after crossing the river at the base to complete your hike. The trail is unbeaten so dress appropriately.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Self-Drive – KES 2,450
Full Package with Transport – KES 3,550
- Citizen Park Entrance Fees/parking fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Resident/Non-Residents Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
This hike takes you through the towering peaks of Aberdares. Maratini Hill in the Nyandarua Ranges rises to an elevation of 3,880m asl. The peak is approximately 1-2hrs from Rurimueria Summit. After the Rurimueria summit, the trail descends down the high ridge to Maratini hills towards Mlango to the opposite ridge. This hike will definitely be the best prep for anyone preparing to attempt Mt. Kenya.