Mt Longonot Hike
Available Dates: Group joining; 12th March 2022
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: Easy to the Rim | Moderate around the Rim
Situated on the floor of the Great Rift Valley, is the extinct volcano of Mount Longonot located about 90km from Nairobi. A unique feature is a thick forest that lies within the crater of the mountain. The crater rim provides great scenic views across the beautiful Rift Valley all the way to Lake Naivasha.
The hike starts from the gate and banks South towards the crater. The first section is a steep staircase trail to the Rim of the crater. The trek to the rim is 3Km and takes about 1 hour to get the rim.
Once you reach the rim, you have the choice to descend or hike all the way around the crater to the Longomot summit which adds up an extra 7.2Km before descending back to the base.
This hike is perfect for beginners and is also ultimately a good challenge for advanced hikers. The hike is also kids friendly!
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 4 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Full Package – Kes. 3,370
Self-Drive – Kes. 2,370
- Citizens/Resident Park Entrance Fees
- Transport Costs for Non-self-drive & parking fees
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Park Entry Fees for Non-Residents
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
Mt. Longonot is located about 90km from Nairobi. This trail starts off from Longonot park gate to the top of the crater and around the crater rim. The crater rim provides great scenic views across the beautiful Rift Valley all the way to Lake Naivasha.