Nguruman Escarpment Hike
Available Date: 20th November 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: Moderate 20Km
Located on the South-Western border of Kenya to Tanzania is the western wall of the great rift valley. The Nguruman escarpment rises 2,300m from the plains of Kajiado only at 900m above sea level. This spectacular 1,300m wall forms an interesting ecosystem of forests, rivers, waterfalls, and dry savannah bushland.
Our adventure starts with a drive down past Ngong Hills, Oloroka range, Mt. Olorgesailie to the pink lake of Magadi. A quick stop to enjoy this beauty before embarking on a 45kms offroad drive across the plains to Olkiramatian. On the way is the crossing of the muddy Southern Ewaso Ng’iro river flowing down from the Mara.
The walk starts from Ngomongo village making way through the Maasai villages to the foothills of the escarpment where the terrain shifts to a steep mountain face. The hike up is scenic with stops to look back from where we have come. Once on the upper reaches, the terrain eases to a gradual hike to the waterfall. Swimming and picnic at the waterfall will refresh you before the walk down back to Ngomongo village. Remember to ask the tour leader to make plans for the traditional Mbuzi from these sides to enjoy after the hike as it’s delicious. Return to Nairobi arriving in the night.
What To Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Swimming Costume
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Full Package with Transport – KES 4,350
Self Drive (4×4 vehicle recommended)- Kes. 2,280
- Citizen Park Entrance Fees/parking fees
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Resident/Non-Residents Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
At a glance
Nguruman is set on the border of Kajiado and Narok County adjacent to the beautiful Nguruman escarpment on the floor of the Rift Valley.
Its environs are true land of contrast; ranging from open woodland, vast plains with patches of bushes, and open woodland on the eastern part of the escarpment to the dense thicket on the slopes of the escarpment.