Red Bull Quicksand
Welcome to The Red Bull Quicksand
Red Bull Quicksand could be the most challenging mile you ever run. Competitors will push through the sand in an energy-sapping knockout format, with heats, semi-finals, and finals. On top of the obvious challenges that come with running on sand (runners expend 1.6 times more energy on sand than running on a road surface) – the course is festooned with all kinds of sandy climbs, giving competitors a full examination of endurance, acceleration, and bursts of speed.
Date & Venue
The Race will be happening on the Jamhuri/Independence Day Holiday of 12th December 2021 at Kongo River Estuary, Diani Beach, Kenya. This stunning location hosts the mouth of the Kongo River to the ocean and offers one of the widest sections of beaches on the South Coast, Kenya.
The race is 2 laps of a brutal 1/2-mile course incorporating dunes, castles, and deep trenches.
Your heat allocation will be communicated to you shortly prior to the event. Please arrive 1 hour before your heat start time. If you miss your heat time, we will not be able to guarantee you a place in a separate heat. There will be a warm-up before each race.
Arrival & Registration: 0830hrs
Men’s Heats: 0930hrs -1130hrs
Women’s Heats: 1200hrs – 1300hrs
Semi-Finals: 1330hrs – 1450hrs
Men’s Finals: 1510hrs
Women’s Finals: 1530hrs
Prize Giving: 1550hrs
After Party: 1630hrs
• 5 Men’s heats
• 3 Women’s heats
Top 50% from each heat progress to the semi-finals.
• 3 Men’s Semi-Finals
• 2 Women’s Semi-Finals
The top 25% from each race go through to the finals.
• Men’s Final
• Women’s Final
The top 3 from each make the podium.
Ps. Numbers are subject to change depending on final race day numbers.
- This is a non-contact race. Race marshals will instruct any competitor who is, in their opinion, taking an unfair advantage
by physical contact with another competitor and remove them from the race.
- All competitors must have their competition number on their event t-shirt clearly visible.
- Action cameras are allowed to be worn during the duration of the race, however, please make event organizers aware that you are doing so.
- Footwear: Runners are permitted to run barefoot however spikes, studs, and crampons are NOT permitted.
- Headphones are NOT permitted whilst on course.
- There will be a water refill station on-site, please bring re-usable bottles and make use of these features.
- Littering or the discarding of any item on the racecourse is forbidden at all times during the race and indeed during the event as a whole. Litter bins will be provided. Cans and plastics will be recycled.
- There are no specific food provisions on site but there are plenty of local shops and concessions to take advantage of!
Runners must complete their mile within 20mins or they will be cut off from the heat. A participant’s time on the course starts when their timing chip passes the electronic mat at the start and stops when the timing chip passes the electronic mat at the Finish.
There will be flags in the sand at the finish line. Competitors will need to claim a flag to progress through the competition. In the event of competitors reaching for the same flag at the same time, the Competition Manager will have the final decision as to who qualified in which order.
Once you have completed the race please exchange your flag for your next heat allocation.
Spectators & Guests
This event is free to spectate. However, the number of friends and family participants can bring inside of the racing ring is limited to 3 (wristbands for this will be distributed at registration).
Littering or the discarding of any item on the racecourse is forbidden at all times during the race and indeed during the
event as a whole. Litter bins will be provided. Cans and plastics will be recycled.
Rules & Regulations
- The organizers reserve the right to change the routing and format, or part thereof, of any heat or race at any time during
- Every attempt will be made to communicate the changes clearly and timeously to ensure that no competitors are unfairly prejudiced nor advantaged by such changes.
- Typically, such changes may be necessitated in the event of inclement weather or circumstances beyond the control of the organizers.
- Over 18s only.
Kes. 1500 per person
Sports Clubs/Running Clubs/Gym Clubs etc
Min 5; Max 20 runners: Kes.15,000
(Entry fee includes MC mentions and designated branding)
Team of 5 runners: Kes. 50,000
Team of 10 runners: Kes.100,000
Diani Backpackers: https://turnup.travel/tour/redbull-quicksand-event-diani-backpackers/
Wayside Beach Apartments: https://turnup.travel/tour/redbull-quicksand-event-wayside-beach-apartments/
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort: https://turnup.travel/tour/redbull-quicksand-event-jacaranda-indian-ocean-beach-resort/
Payments & Bookings
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Quicksand)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Confirmations & Queries: +254 729 995059 | [email protected]
More information about the Race: +254 725 275220 | +254 725 157834
For Partnership: +254 721 432544
At a glance
Bucketlist Adventures in Partnership with Red bull brings you The Red bull Quicksand Race. Competitors push through the sand in an energy-sapping knockout format, with heats, semi-finals, and finals. The course is filled with all kinds of sandy climbs, giving competitors a full examination of endurance, acceleration, and bursts of speed. The race could be the most challenging mile you ever run.