Rurimueria Old Route to Table Mountain Hike
Available Dates: Group joining; 12th June | 26th June, 2021
Private Package: Any day of your choice
Grading: Difficult Traverse
Trekking Time: 8 – 9 hours
Rurimueria Hill is one of the trails that was reintroduced to the Kenyan hiking space by the Bucketlisters back in 2016. When we restarted the trail, the trail used to take a horseshoe plan where return back down was via a separate ridge. This ridge has been forgotten for a while now and we would like to attempt going up via it.
The Trail begins at Gathuthi primary hill and makes its way up the villages before crossing the Aberdares national park fence. Once you cross the fence the trail becomes steep for a few kilometers before crossing two smaller hills and getting to the famous “Mlango”. Mlango is a gate-like opening where the wind from the Nyeri side passes through to the Nyandarua side. From the Mlango point, the summit is the pointed outcrop to the North.
After the summit, the hike to Table mountains begins taking another one hour to the summit. After Table mountain, we descend down to finish the trail at Kwa Matu center before returning back to Nairobi.
What to Carry
- Comfortable hiking boots with a good grip. Long pants/trousers & long-sleeved hiking t-shirt/light jacket recommended
- Spare Sports Trainers to complement boots, Sandals, or light shoes for traveling back
- Plenty of drinking water at least 3 litres
- Sunhat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Walking stick
- Any personal medication / Personal first aid items
- Day Pack /Small Bag to carry your personal items
- Enough Snacks, fruits, sandwiches, energy bars to last the hike.
- Proper Rain Gear, in case it rains. i.e. Rain Coat/Poncho/Rain Trousers if available.
- Mornings can be cold so have a warm Jacket.
- An identification card or passport: Must
- Tip for guides, rangers, and crew
Full Package with Transport – KES 3,750
- Citizen Park Entrance Fees/parking fees
- Round trip transport from Nairobi
- Hiking Charges
- Guiding Fees
- Resident/Non-Residents Park Entry Fees
- Tips for Guides
- Evacuation expenses.
Payment and Booking
Make payments via MPESA Paybill 695596 Account (Your Name-Hike Title)
Confirmations and queries must be confirmed with 0729 995 059 | [email protected]
Booking Terms & Conditions
All our adventure bookings are subject to Bucketlist Adventures Booking policy as outlined on the link below:
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our buses and vans are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enables social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch.
At a glance
This hike takes you through the towering peaks of Aberdares. Rurimueria hill is considered the third highest in the Aberdare Ranges rising to an elevation of 3,860m asl. After the Rurimueria summit, the trail leads to Table mountain summit before descending to Kwa Matu Centre.